Tear-Apart Tutorials
Sometimes we find ourselves purchasing a built version of a potential donor kit.

What are some techniques, tools, or strategies you have for harvesting the needed or desired parts?

My first go-to is to freeze the assembly for about 24 hrs to see if any parts assembled possibly using CA glue can snap off. Cold makes CA kind of brittle and easier to break. There is also CA de-bonder, found in most decent hobby shops. Wargaming mini's are often assembled with CA glue, and this tends to be everyone's first step in stripping and cleaning up someone else's work.

My second and more successful technique is to use LA's Totally Awesome 1:1 with tap water, inside a heated ultrasonic cleaner. Immerse the bonded parts in the mix and warm the parts to 60 to 75 Celsius (140 F to 167 Fahrenheit). This can soften resin-based model and plastic cements enough to pry them apart successfully. This also softens CA glue bonds.
The Totally Awesome also loosens many paint and primer applications. The ultrasonic function further cleans your donor parts.

I do not own an ultrasonic knife. Is it worth it for harvesting parts? I have a mostly built 1/24 Bandai Panther G arriving imminently in the mail (my first 1/24 Panther kit).
So far I've had luck with the freezing method. Just have to make sure you have a fresh blade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jcoffman99's post:
  • NecronautDrummer
Well, not mostly built, thank goodness. But my Totally Awesome method just isn’t cutting it. Freezing didn’t seem to work too well either.
Any other help is much appreciated.